Friday 28 February 2014

Hand made pasta

I have lots and lots of eggs. One of the ways I am using them is to make hand made pasta.
In fact it is a good way of storing the surplus eggs. Make up a big batch of pasta dough, divide it into serving size balls and freeze it.
Making pasta from scratch is very easy and really it takes not much more time to prepare it than it does to reach for bought pasta and is way more yummy.
I knead my pasta in the bread machine for 5 minutes, but it can be done by hand easily enough.
I also have a pasta cutter, but the dough can be rolled out by hand very thinly and cut with a knife.
 I divide this recipe into 3 balls. When I am by myself one ball is a big enough serving, but when there are two of us the 3 balls give a generous serving each.
The recipe:
1 1/2 c flour. (I have used all purpose flour in past, but now use spelt flour)
2 eggs
1 tbsp. oil
I put all the ingredients in the bread machine. It may be necessary to adjust the liquids. Add a little water if the mix is dry or a little more flour it is a bit wet.
Knead for 5 minutes.
Divide into 3 balls. Keep well floured and roll it out.

 
Here are the balls of dough. Some are wrapped ready to go into the freezer.
 
 
Roll out thinly and cut into thin strips or do this with the pasta cutter. I then hang it on a wooden spoon while I make the sauce. this helps dry it a little and I find it is less inclined to clump when cooking.
To cook throw the cut pasta  into boiling water. It'll only take a few minutes to cook and be ready for your favourite pasta sauce.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment