Friday 2 August 2013

Lettuce

The first lettuces are going to seed. These are the ones that self seeded from last years lettuce plants, and ones that got planted in May. I have been harvesting them leaf by leaf all summer.


 
 I have been sowing lettuce every 2 weeks since then, so there is still lots on the go in the garden.

I grow lettuce several ways.
I start some of them in flats. This works well if I want to separate out specific varieties. I find that seeding in a flat means that if the germination is erratic, I'm not taking up a lot of space with individual cells. Lettuce doesn't germinate well at high temps, so if it is very hot, I can put these flats in a cooler spot or even in the fridge for a few days.
Once the seedlings have a couple of true leaves, I then prick them out and transplant into individual cells or small pots, depending on how long until I expect to plant them on. They can now keep growing safe from slugs or being over whelmed by bigger plants, until a spot opens up in the garden.
Some will go into big pots where I will grow then until they are eaten. These tend to do better, as I can keep them better watered and grow them in better soil mix. Also they can be kept right beside the kitchen door for easy access.
Several times during the summer if I have the space I also direct sow in the garden. These are quite thick plantings, and I use these for a cut and come again harvest approach. I usually use the seed I have saved from the previous years harvest mixing the different colours.
I also let plants go to seed over the summer. The flowers help provide food for the beneficial insects, and provide self sown seedlings for next spring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment